[vtk-developers] Hinting proposal

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 17:43:06 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 2:31 PM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
> I realize this goes directly against what you said in the other thread....
>
> But I strongly prefer inline hints to use actual code attributes if
> possible. For example, this particular hint would be an attribute on the
> return type of the method. You could also envision parameter hinting (as in,
> this parameter is a pointer, but it's really an array of N elements).
>
> Parsing stuff out of comments seems like it would be more error prone
> compared to having an actual C++ compiler-readable attribute attached to a
> C++ entity.
>
> This is just my opinion, though. Let's see who else chimes in.

So in the mummy examples I see code like this:

iwhPropGet double GetMileage() const;

I could get used to it.  It makes the code a bit more confusing to a
casual reader, but not too much.  So, yes, I'd be willing to go along
with this.  I'd much rather use "hint" as the prefix instead of "iwh",
and looking at the implementation, this seems to be doable without
losing compatibility with mummy.

 - David