[vtk-developers] Google Summer of Code students announced

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 15:26:55 EDT 2011

David,

Welcome. It will be great to see more computational chemistry support in
VTK. When I joined GE Research in 1978 my first projects involved
computational chemistry. I can't recall the names of the software, but they
were large Fortran programs that consumed many of the CPU cycles we had at
GE Research.

An early molecular visualization appeared on this GE recruiting brochure.I
wrote a Ray Tracer to visualize some GE polymers.
http://marchingcubes.org/index.php/Image:CRDRecruitingBrochure.png

I worked with a polymer chemist, John Bendler, and we had a pub in 1981.
Bendler, J. T., *W. E. Lorensen*, and R. J. Dowe, "Computer Modeling of
Polymer Conformations and Torsional Parameters," in American Physical
Society General Meeting, March 1981.

Part of my job was to interface with a number of molecular dynamics programs
and visualize the results on a Tektronix storage display.

So, there are some computational chemistry roots in the VTK community.

Looking forward to seeing some exciting work,

Bill

PS: There are also some google roots. I was doing a sabbatical in 1995-1996
in the Stanford Graphics Lab. Mark Levoy and Pat Hanrahan were my hosts. The
internet was starting to explode. I was a big user and posted many pages on
the Stanford site. I used the altavista search engine (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltaVista). There were only a couple of search
engines then. I spent time with a young graduate student who told me about
his work on search engines. I advised him to pick another topic since
searching was a solved problem.

The student was Larry Page.

Moral: Sometimes experience is trumped by innovation.