[vtk-developers] Google Summer of Code students announced

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 10:52:12 EDT 2011

Tharindu,

Congratulations. I recall in my younger days coming back to GE from Siggraph
or Vis and implementing some algorithms that excited me. They did not always
make it into VTK or its predecessor, LYMB. But it was a great experience.

Some of the algorithms and ideas that made it into VTK include:
0) Actors, scenes and cues stimulated by Flocks, herds and schools: A
distributed behavioral model, Siggraph 87
1) All of the subdivision classes stimulated by Interpolating Subdivision
for meshes with arbitrary topology, Siggraph 96.
2) The mesh smoothing algorithms stimulated by A signal processing approach
to fair surface design, Siggraph 95
3) Triangular texture stimulated by Opacity-modulating triangular textures
for irregular surfaces, Vis 96

Some of the other VTK developers have had similar experiences.

Best of luck,

Bill