[vtk-developers] Performance improvement of vtkCornerAnnotation class using vtkTextActor

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 07:56:28 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 2:31 AM, Roger Bramon Feixas
<rogerbramon at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm developing on Mac OS X and I recently updated my VTK version from 5.0.4
> to 5.6. On Mac Os X, the frame rate of a 2D render window is drastically
> reduced when vtkCornerAnnotation is set to on. I also noticed that from
> VTK 5.2 the vtkTextActor implementation uses textures instead of OpenGL
> sentences but the current implementation of vtkCornerAnnotation uses
> vtkActor2D instead of vtkTextActor therefore it doesn't take the benefit of
> using textures. I changed vtkCornerAnnotation implementation in order to
> test the performance of using textures and the result is really interesting.
> The frame rate increases from 6 frames/s to 60 frames/s which is the same
> frame rate when vtkCornerAnnotation isn't used.
>
> I attach a zip which includes the implementation (even thought it isn't a
> nice implementation because I just did the minimum changes to be able to use
> vtkTextActor), the patch file, and a pdf file which is a summary of my test
> results done on Windows XP and Mac OS X. On Windows, if we just analyze the
> frame rate, we could conclude that it isn't necessary to change the
> implementation to use vtkTextActor, however, we could reduce a lot the CPU
> usage.
>
> I would like to know your opinion about it, and, perhaps, someone could
> test it on Linux, or with ATI graphics card or on Windows with dual core
> processor (I test it with quad core processor).
>
> Thanks for your attention.
>
> Roger

Hi Roger,

I think your patch would be better received if you pushed it to Gerrit:

http://www.itk.org/Wiki/VTK/Git/Simple#Publishing_a_Topic_for_Review_.28Optional.29
<http://www.itk.org/Wiki/VTK/Git/Simple#Publishing_a_Topic_for_Review_.28Optional.29>
David