[vtk-developers] Documentation Parsing

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Tue Apr 5 16:21:32 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 2:33 PM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Brian Helba <brian.helba at kitware.com> wrote:
>>
>> There won't be much drudgery, I already have a bash/sed script to do the
>> necessary edits.
>
> But the edits are unnecessary if the script is fixed....

It seems to be the dominant style in the VTK headers, it would be
great to enforce a more consistent coding style. I thought the newline
before each description was part of that. I agree that we should also
make the Perl script more robust.

>> It would be nice to get a quick fix in, so the nightly HTML documentation
>> is more useful.
>
> It has been this way for a long, long time. It would be better to get the
> right fix (rather than quick) in and avoid the unnecessary edits.
>
> But maybe that's just me....
>
> Feel free to resolve this however you think is best.

As we will potentially have more students coming starting to hack VTK
code over the summer, it would be great to establish what we expect
from them, as well as other contributors. The Perl conversion can be
especially difficult to understand as it is very VTK specific, and so
I think it would be valuable to document these constraints it places
on our coding style, along with the constraints the automated wrapping
also places on our code.

Just my $0.02 on this - I would rather fix both, but don't have the
time to do either.

Marcus