[vtk-developers] ChartParallelCoordinates data switching

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Thu Sep 30 14:31:43 EDT 2010

Hey Marcus,

Yup, it looks like that took care of the problem nicely (and I can confirm that your other fix is generating David Doria's plot properly now, too). Thanks for taking care of these things so quickly.

The only outstanding issues I have left are not with the parallel coordinates (so maybe they should be in a separate thread, but I'm going to go ahead and mention them here). These are the only three differences right now that I have to sustain between VTK proper and the code I need:

1. It would be nice if there was a virtual function in vtkChartXY, something like SetTooltipInfo() which subclasses can override to send different information to tooltip items rather than having that hard-coded into LocatePointInPlots. (see http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtk-developers/2010-August/008342.html ).

2. It would be nice if there was some sort of ivar in vtkChartXY which allow users to switch the mouse button assignments without having to subclass.

3. At some point the highlight markers in vtkPlotPoints was switched so they show up behind the standard black markers. I can see how this looks nice in many cases, and looks more like a highlight around the original point, but if you have a big, dense cloud of points all of the highlights disappear behind the data markers. So, in my version I moved the highlight markers back on top (with some transparency), and it's much easier to see in these large, dense data cases.

Thanks again, and I'll talk to you later,
-Eric