[vtk-developers] Crossing library boundaries

Jim Peterson jimcp at cox.net
Wed Sep 15 18:22:41 EDT 2010

David,
In principle, I agree, if a function is truly isolated, and capable of
being used globally it can be "moved up" in the library sequence, moving
the vtkLandmarkTransform to common would do that. With the fact that
vtkLandmarkTransform is an extension of the vtkLinearTransform which is
in Common currently, I don't see a major issue.  I would be very careful
about this line of thinking though, continuing along this path will
migrate everything to Common eventually. It might be worth someone's
time to examine the Hybrid contents periodically to see if there is a
more natural home for some contents. I suspect the Control library was
renamed to Hybrid because of the cross library implementations that may
be there.

In reference to actually changing vtk, vtk is an enormous system, and
again, I am outside my comfort zone in actual knowlege. Regarding the
transforms themselves, I am not what I would call informed with the
range of transforms present in vtk. I find 27 different transform
classes across 5 libraries, with 14 in Common, 2 in Geovis, 4 in
Graphics, 6 in Hybrid, and one in Rendering. I know for sure I have not
directly used more than 2 or 3 myself.

and as far as the vtkArrowSource, isn't it just a tube with a cone at
the end? And are there any uses in any of the existing examples? What is
so special about the straight line? if we are going to make something
generally useful, shouldn't it be able to follow any line source (like a
vtkTubeFilter) and "cap" the tube with a Cone?

I appologize for ranting if that is what I am doing, and I admit it is
kind of selfish, if this system keeps growing, I will never be able to
get to the point that I have learned it.

In software we too often have a solution that is desperately looking for
a problem,  and that generally leads to software bloat and additional
complexity.
HTH
Jim