[vtk-developers] VTK rendering in a QGraphicsview

Engel Markus m.engel at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Oct 26 11:04:19 EDT 2010

Hi all.

I have a question regarding the use of VTK rendering embedded into a QT application.
In our  toolkit, MITK, we have been using the QVTKWidget for some time now. However we found it rather troublesome to integrate overlays using additional QWidgets and QLabels into the renderwindow.

We found a blog entry that describes how to embed a vtkRenderWindow into a QGraphicsView:
  http://www.vcreatelogic.com/p/blog/using-vtkrenderwindow-with-qgraphicsview/

It is very easy to add all kinds of QWidgets to a VTK OpenGL scene and have them rendered in the same GL-context.

As this is no 'official' VTK code I wanted to ask you guys if you have any experience with the approach used in this blog entry.

In general : What would be the best way of embedding VTK rendering in a QT application in respect to performance, compatibility and integration.

Best regards and thanks a lot in advance,
Markus

Dipl. Bioinform. (FH) Markus Engel
German Cancer Research Center
Division of Medical and Biological Informatics
Im Neuenheimer Feld 280
D-69120 Heidelberg
Tel.: +49 (0) 6221 / 42-3549
Fax: +49 (0) 6221 / 42-2345