[vtk-developers] ANN: All VTK commits through the topic stage

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Thu Oct 14 14:38:42 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Aashish Chaudhary <
aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 2:14 PM, pat marion <pat.marion at kitware.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Marcus,
>>
>> Is the stage something that we can use to share experimental code with
>> others, or should we only push branches that we actually intend to merge in
>> the near future?

I have used it to share topic branches before merging, but it is generally
intended for topics that you intend to merge at some point. You can remove a
topic branch using,

git push stage :topic-branch-to-remove

If you do not want to merge it/you no longer wish to share it.

>> Is there are branch naming convention?  I tend to use
>> lowercase-words-with-dashes.

We have asked that they be meaningful, but we are not enforcing any
particular naming convention. Perhaps we should adopt a default style, and
lower case with dashes seems reasonable.

>> I was about to ask the same as well. Also I am assuming that  with this
> change updating the submodule references need staging too (thats what I have
> been doing)

Well...VTK doesn't have any submodules. I assume you are referring to
ParaView now? The submodule update commit should ideally be the only thing
in that particular commit, and it should point to a VTK master (or other
submodule) that has been merged. This should be staged along with the rest
of the topic branch.

> One thought that in future we might end with 1000 or more branches, do we
> have a policy for clean up or thats work in progress?

When you merge a topic into all integration branches (currently just master)
then the topic is automatically deleted from the stage. If you do a,

git fetch stage --prune

Your local references to those topics will also be deleted.

Thanks,

Marcus