[vtk-developers] Git tool for tracing merged branches?

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Fri Oct 8 00:51:00 EDT 2010

 I'm not the expert git user in the group, but since I have not seen another response, I will give it a shot.

To my knowledge, there is no way to get what branch a commit was created on because that information is not stored.  Commits are identified only by their SHA and only record the parent commits from which they derive.  A branch is really just a pointer to some commit.  When the branch moves or goes away, there is no record of it ever having pointed to a particular commit.

I think the best way to identify what branch each commit used to belong to is to look at the merge commit at the top of the branch.  The merge commit should have in its log description the name of the branch it originates from.  You can then trace from the branch down until it merges back with the master.

-Ken