[vtk-developers] vtkGenericOpenGLRenderWindow thoughts

Clinton Stimpson clinton at elemtech.com
Tue May 25 14:18:49 EDT 2010

On Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:39:12 am Francois Bertel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can you please elaborate about the OpenGL functionality in Qt you want to
> use?

Here's a description and video of the types of things one can do:
http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2008/12/02/widgets-enter-the-third-dimension-
wolfenqt/

http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2010/05/17/qtwebkit-now-accelerates-css-
animations-3d-transforms/

Basically, there are some cool things one can do with Qt and OpenGL, I want to
include VTK in the mix.  This type of integration has been asked for a few
times on the VTK users list to support 2/2.5d scenes, but 3d is also possible.
Qt's drawing api allows for multiple back ends, including OpenGL and OpenGL
2.0 (desktop or ES).  But Qt can't replace functionality found in a toolkit
like VTK, so I'm looking for ways to integrate.

> How would you do a vtkGenericOpenGLRenderWindow? How to pass context
> information? How would you implement MakeCurrent(), for example?

My vtkGenericOpenGLRenderWindow was just a prototype and it could go a
different way.  Its purpose would be to embed a VTK scene within a Qt scene.

MakeCurrent() is stubbed (along with the majority of the pure virtual
functions), and the caller of vtkGenericRenderWindow::Render() makes the
context current.

Clint