[vtk-developers] vtkVoxelModeller converted from BIT to INT

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Mon Mar 15 11:17:55 EDT 2010

Hi David-

I think we have to approach this in a series of steps, we may not be able to
correctly solve the VTK_BIT problem immediately, but do something quick with
an eye to fixing it longer term.

One option: since the writer doesn't work now let's do something quickly,
documenting the fact (e.g. bug tracker, etc.) that long term we need to
improve the support for VTK_BIT. (I would use VTK_UNSIGNED_CHAR myself which
is half the size of VTK_SHORT assuming it works.)

Another option (and I am shooting from the hip here) is to do the minimal
work in the reader/writer to get VTK_BIT "sort of" working meaning you may
have to perform temporary conversions to and from VTK_BIT to another type,
etc. which may cause temporary increases in memory.

I'm sure there are other opinions in the community about this...

Will

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 11:01 AM, David Doria
<daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com<daviddoria%2Bvtk at gmail.com>