[vtk-developers] Auto install git hooks

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Jun 30 11:15:18 EDT 2010

If I may, I'll repeat David's sentiments a bit more gently.

You would get around this problem if you sent to your customer an archive instead of a git url.  Instructing your customer (as you describe him/her) to fetch the latest snapshot from the archive is a bad idea all around.  First, it adds further complication to the build process (get git and learn it well enough to clone a repo), which you said yourself is already too onerous.  Second, it invites the inevitable problem that your customer will get a version of VTK that is different than yours and with something committed that breaks your software.

Will this unnecessarily effect someone somewhere?  I will concede that it probably will, but it will be a small percentage of all VTK users and, amortized amongst us all, will save much more time than will be lost.

-Ken