[vtk-developers] ANN: Merging in updated wrapping branch into VTK master tomorrow

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 14:31:33 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Marcus D. Hanwell
<marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:

> Just to confirm that this was committed to VTK master earlier today, I fixed
> one issue in vtkTextAnalysis and so far the dashboards are looking pretty
> good. Please let us know if you encounter any problems.
> Thanks,
> Marcus

I have to give a big thanks to Marcus and Keith for merging this, and
to anyone else at Kitware who was involved.  You can bet that I fully
appreciate all the time that was put into testing the code, plus all
the work that went into rebasing my commits to the current VTK master
(something you must have had to do at least two or three times).

This merge adds the following to VTK:

1) Proper vtkStdString support for all wrappers, it used to sort-of
work but was mostly broken.  By "all wrappers", I mean Tcl, Java,
Python, and ParaView's VTKClientServer.

2) Support for vtkUnicodeString and vtkVariant within the python
wrappers, with the potential of supporting scores of other currently
unwrapped classes in the coming weeks.

3) A major clean-up of the lex/yacc front-end for the wrappers, it
understands much more C++ now.

The main thing that I hope this merge will bring is a solid foundation
for moving the wrappers forward.  Lately too much of VTK has become
accessible only from C++.

For any interested parties, I wrote a disorganized wiki page about the
changes to the wrapper code:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/index.php?title=VTK/Wrapping_Special_Types

Specifically for Python, I have updated README_WRAP.txt:
http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=blob;f=Wrapping/Python/README_WRAP.txt

Cheers,

   David