[vtk-developers] question about vtkOpenGLVolumeTextureMapper3D backward compatibility and version number

Arnaud GELAS arnaud_gelas at hms.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 2 15:31:57 EDT 2010

Hi all,

vtkOpenGLVolumeTextureMapper3D's API has recently changed, and methods:
*

vtkOpenGLVolumeTextureMapper3D::IsRenderSupported(vtkVolumeProperty*)

*became

**

vtkOpenGLVolumeTextureMapper3D::IsRenderSupported(vtkVolumeProperty* , vtkRenderer* )

**Our application used this code, some of our developers are using the
release vtk 5.6, some are using the git version. We thus experience some
problem here due to the non-backward compatibility. What's the policy
with backward compatibility?

Could it be possible to keep the first method as deprecated? (no is an
OK answer)

We were also considering checking version of vtk, and depending on the
version use the first implementation or the second one. But it just
happened that ${VTK_VERSION} for both are 5.7.0 ...

Is there a way to differentiate these two versions via CMake?

Thanks for your answers,
Regards,
Arnaud