[vtk-developers] vtkFFMPEGWriter - bitrate and bitrate tolerance

Nicolas Rannou nicolas_rannou at hms.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 29 15:21:01 EDT 2010

Hi all,

We are experimenting issues regarding the usage of vtkFFMPEGWriter.cxx.
It occurs at least on Mac and Ubuntu 10.04.
You can reproduce the error turning VTK_USE_FFMPEG ON and running the
associated test. (ctest -R FFMPEG)

ERROR:
[mjpeg @ 0x2db2f30]bitrate tolerance too small for bitrate
Generic Warning: In /home/nr52/GITROOT/VTK/IO/vtkFFMPEGWriter.cxx, line 197
Could not open codec.

The problem is located at /VTK/IO/vtkFFMPEGWriter.cxx:179, where the bit_rate_tolerance is defined as:
c->bit_rate_tolerance = c->bit_rate/this->FrameRate;

Then, this error ("bitrate tolerance too small for bit-rate") can easily be solved decreasing the FrameRate.

Moreover, there is no convenient method to set the bit-rate.
So far, can only choose between 3 predefined bit-rates, which is quite restrictive.

So here is my question: Is there any reason for not creating variables BitRate and BitRateTolerance?
If there is no objection, I can take care of it.

Thanks

    Nicolas