[vtk-developers] Auto install git hooks

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Jul 16 13:02:13 EDT 2010

On 07/16/2010 12:51 PM, Moreland, Kenneth wrote:
> Maybe I’m being stupid, but if you are installing a pre-commit hook to
> check the hooks, why not just install the hooks you really want in the
> first place?

I considered that, but:

 - We want to share the hooks across many projects.  It is much easier
   to have a single "hooks" branch history that we push to all of them
   than to merge changes into every project tree.

 - We want to use the most recent hooks the user has installed no
   matter what version of the project is configured.

 - I do not want to create logic in every project to decide when to
   overwrite the hook with an updated one.

The current approach puts in a tiny script with logic that does not
change when we want new hooks.

-Brad