[vtk-developers] python wrappers & external types

Clinton Stimpson clinton at elemtech.com
Thu Jul 1 17:33:38 EDT 2010

Hi,

I'm working on making VTK Python work with Python wrappers generated with SIP
(PyQt's wrapper generator).

Is there is a way to hook into VTK's python wrapping generator to deal with
external types implemented in other libraries?  Or what would it take to make
that work?

For example, I'm able to teach SIP to deal with external types, such as VTK
classes.  Only a PyObject -> vtkObject and vtkObject -> PyObject methods are
implemented for each VTK class (using vtkPythonUtil).
So, it works if a VTK class is passed through a method of a SIP wrapped class.

I'm interested in making it work the other way too.
I just tried to wrap a class and a method of interest got ignored and skipped
over.

Thanks,
Clint