[vtk-developers] Scope of VTK and it's potential as a common research language

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 09:09:22 EST 2010

Benoit,

So in the case of template libraries the license is sections
0,1,2,3,6.

And BSD is similar to an LGPL3 with sections
0,1,3

Section 2 still bothers me. We use and distribute several 3rd -party
libraries with VTK. I think it is safe to say that we have modified
everyone of them. These modifications are made not to add or modify
functionality, but to bring the standards of the software in line with
VTK's standards. In some cases, the 3rd parties agree to incorporate
our changes in future releases. But this is not always the case.

So if we modify and distribute the modifications, section 2a is
confusing to me. If we don't satisfy the terms of 2a, then we fall
into the GPL.

Also, the FAQ says the license is not complex, yet you need a
multi-page FAQ to interpret it.

What concerns the Eigen developers about adopting a license like the
one used by VTK?       VTK is not worried about proprietary forks. It
is unlikely that a VTK fork could compete with the large VTK
community's version of VTK.

Bill