[vtk-developers] vtkNew<>

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Fri Jan 29 11:45:46 EST 2010

Well I have to say the vtkSmartPointer macro discussion was one of the most
entertaining threads I've had the pleasure of participating in. It's good to
know that after 17 years we finally know how to instantiate objects in VTK
and that we are making progress :-)

Has anyone thought about how we are going to roll this out? I generally
don't like systems where there are multiple ways of doing the same thing
which tends to confuse people (although admittedly VTK is rife with this but
let's try). I assume Bill and others are going to continue with experiments,
and if we still like it what then? We've got examples, tests, code base,
tutorials, books, etc. to contend with. For example, we have the VTK Users
guide going to the printer now, and if this is going to become pervasive
maybe we should throw something in the book as a placeholder. My current
favorite solution is to ask Brad to fix everything in the list above, but I
suspect he might complain so maybe we should have a backup plan :-)

So does anybody want to venture a plan to roll this out? Or do we limit it's
use and not worry about it? Comments?

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:

> Bill Lorensen wrote:
> > I love it. Can we try it? I'll convert some tests I've been
> modernizing...
>
> I've pushed two commits here:
>
>  http://github.com/bradking/VTK/commits/vtkNew
>
>  STYLE: Remove member-template check
>
> http://github.com/bradking/VTK/commit/de48cba2c5a6a1e704ec9ff07a579ef074b4bd02
>
>  ENH: Add vtkNew<> to create objects locally
>
> http://github.com/bradking/VTK/commit/c734a24c49ac6553c54b4cc50079b23334736b13
>
> for folks to try out.
>
> -Brad

William J. Schroeder, PhD