[vtk-developers] OSMesa depth buffer issues

burlen burlen.loring at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 16:14:52 EST 2010

Hi Guys,

I'm having some issues in ParaView that relate back to VTK's OSMesa
rendering context. Specifically VTK asks OSMesa for the default RGBA
context, which only has a 16 bit depth buffer. That's causing some
artifacts and compositing issues in certain situations. for example:

    http://nashi-submaster.ucsd.edu/movies/PV/tube-filter-artifact/mesa-artifacts.png
    http://nashi-submaster.ucsd.edu/movies/PV/tube-filter-artifact/mesa-artifacts-decomp.png

Explicitly requesting a 32 bit depth buffer solves the problems.

I attached a small patch that makes this change in VTK. It replaces the
call to OSMesaCreateContext with one to OSMesaCreateContextExt
specifying a 32 bit depth buffer and carries forward the current default
values for accumulation and stencil buffers. I guess this function was
The OSMesaCreateContextExt was added to in mesa release 3.5, the current
release is 7.7.

Is this the right fix? Or is something more sophisticated necessary?
e.g. run time configurable. And while we're on the subject, are OSMesa's
other buffer defaults reasonable? accum (8 bits per channel) and stencil
buffers (16 bits).

Thanks
Burlen