[vtk-developers] Smart pointer declaration macro?

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Thu Jan 28 11:41:44 EST 2010

I'm strongly opposed changing the max line length.

I often have two or three xemacs windows open at the time to compare
different source files or source file versions and increasing the line
length will make it harder. This is the useful also with other source
file comparison mode, like vimdiff. It also enforce developers to be
succinct. I can probably find ten other reasons to keep the limit that
way.

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com> wrote:
> On 1/28/10 10:09 AM, David Cole said:
>
>>The fact that we disallow abbreviations by convention means that we will end
>>up with long names. It would be better to leave things as they are and
>>everybody get over the "waa waa this name is too long" syndrome.
>
> Another thought, which I'm not necessary advocating, but thought should
> be mentioned: increase max line length from 80 to something higher.  80
> chars is what my Apple II maxed out at, it seems a bit low for today's
> monitors.
>

> On 1/28/10 10:32 AM, David E DeMarle said:
>
>>Do any of the above options allow intellisense and similar code
>>completion tools to expose the pointed to class's method/members?
>
> Similarly, would any of the proposed forms make identifying leaks by
> line number harder?  Would valgrind any similar tools still be able to
> identify a leak as being on line 123?

> Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com
> Rogue Research                        www.rogue-research.com
> Mac Software Developer              Montréal, Québec, Canada

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive