[vtk-developers] Help on VTK's Performance: Volume Rendering + Polygonal Object Moving

Fauze Polpeta fauze.polpeta at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 15:50:10 EST 2010

Dear VTK Developers;

I have worked on a project that requires a Polygonal Object ( or at least a
simple Line ) to be moved on the fly on a volume rendered scene built on top
of a vtkVolumeRayCastMapper abstraction.

This goal was successfully reached but we have faced a drastic performance
degradation when moving the polygonal object into/across the volume scene.
We have assumed this is a consequence of the VTK's pipeline  processing
model. If anyone confirm that, we would like to ask any help in the sense of
pointing any strategy for achieving any (minimal) performance improvement.

Perhaps, getting the OpenGL Context and rendering our polygonal object using
OpenGL commands; thus skipping the VTK's pipeline processing. Is this
feasible?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Fauze