[vtk-developers] Polyhedral challenge

Mark Olesen Mark.Olesen at emconTechnologies.com
Thu Jan 21 08:17:49 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 06:53 -0500, Will Schroeder wrote:
> FYI-
>
> Hua Yang and I are adding a new cell type to VTK: the polyhedral cell.
> This is mainly to support our CFD friends who like to compute flow
> solutions using flux approaches (balance mass and energy in and out of
> a region).
>
> One of the key questions is how to interpolate across the interior of
> such a cell. In the past I have seen two typical approaches 1)
> tessellate the polyhedron into tetrahedra, and then use the tetrahedra
> to interpolate; and 2) use a 1/r**2 (or similar weighting function) to
> interpolate from the cell nodes to an interior point in the
> polyhedron. Both approaches have problems with continuity, etc.

No answers, but how are you interpolating from cell values (which are
what you would normally have for finite-volume CFD results) to obtain
node values? This might be an important aspect to consider (in case you
haven't already). Ideally you'd like the consistent interpolated value
regardless of if you interpolate from node values or from cell values.
By "problems with continuity", do you mean on the cell faces or within
the cell itself?

/mark

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain legally privileged, confidential or proprietary Information, or information otherwise protected by law of EMCON Technologies, its affiliates, or third parties. This notice serves as marking of its "Confidential" status as defined in any confidentiality agreements concerning the sender and recipient. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.