[vtk-developers] Site v20n17.pbm.ihost.com needs attention

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Thu Jan 14 12:42:22 EST 2010

Stop speculating, the issue is in metaio. Here is the reason of the
failure and there is unfortunately no trivial solution right now (even
for Brad King!):

>From an private thread of discussion involving me, Luis, Julien Jomier
and Brad King, Dec 4 2009:

Brad King said:

"
$ nm libvtkmetaio.so | grep ElementByteOrderFix
.vtkmetaio::MetaArray::ElementByteOrderFix() T   271508768         172
.vtkmetaio::MetaImage::ElementByteOrderFix(long) T   269262912         180

$ nm libvtkIO.so| grep ElementByteOrderFix
vtkmetaio::MetaImage::ElementByteOrderFix(long long) U           -

Something is causing streamoff to be a different size in one of vtkIO's
translation units than in metaio's translation units.  It's probably the
KWSys Configure.h that defines _LARGEFILE_SOURCE and related macros (this
was something Andy Cedilnik added at some point to "guarantee" LFS support
in all Kitware projects)."

Brad King said:

"
[I recommends to] teach MetaIO about large file support.

Doing it right is a bit tricky.  This is one of those cases that requires
users of a library to define macros before including its headers.  We have
generally avoided this requirement by configuring feature settings into
header files such as vtkConfigure.h.  However, the problem here is that
enabling large file support means defining a macro like _LARGEFILE_SOURCE
in *every* translation unit before any *system* header is included.  This
cannot be done reliably in a place like vtkConfigure.h because users could
write this:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <vtkObject.h> /* Uh oh, _LARGEFILE_SOURCE is defined too late! */

By the time our configured header gets included, the system API has already
been loaded without large file support!  If instead we require users to
add -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE on the command line then it will apply to the
system API no matter when it is included.

A better approach is this:

 # CMakeLists.txt
 # ... try compiles to detect proper LFS_MACRO ...
 add_definitions(-D${LFS_MACRO})

 /* myconfig.h.in */
 #ifndef @LFS_MACRO@
 # error "This source requires -D at LFS_MACRO@"
 #endif

The LFS_MACRO value can be put in the FooConfig.cmake file for use by
outside projects.

Unfortunately we did not understand this problem back when the macros were
put in KWSys, and changing it there now is very hard for compatibility :(
"

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Dave Partyka <dave.partyka at kitware.com> wrote:
> Humm I didn't noticed that it was using nightly CMake. I most certainly will
> give it a shot. Thanks for pointing that out!
>
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Dave,
>>
>> I noticed that this build is using cmake2.9. Have you tried it with
>> cmake2.8?
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Dave Partyka <dave.partyka at kitware.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I just fixed all the compile errors late last week and now it just has
>> > test
>> > failures. I'll keep prodding at it.
>> >
>> > On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Bill Lorensen
>> > <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive