[vtk-developers] Misinterpretation of a non-ascii character by MSVC

Robert Kerr rakerr at sandia.gov
Mon Jan 11 14:16:31 EST 2010

+1 to Takuya for a day-brightening email.

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010, Berk Geveci wrote:

> :-) This is one of the most amusing bugs I have seen recently. I have
> no objection to remove the accent.
>
> Thierry: do you want me to commit a fix or would you?
>
> -berk
>
> 2010/1/11 Takuya OSHIMA <oshima at eng.niigata-u.ac.jp>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> At line 2942 of VTK/Graphics/vtkYoungsMaterialInterface.cxx (that
>> comes with ParaView 3.7-cvs as of today) there is a comment line
>>
>>  // construction de la fonction cubique par morceau du volume tronque
>>
>> where the last 'e' is in fact an e with an accent aigu. By a Japanese
>> version of MSVC (I use VS2008 SP1) the character, combined with the
>> succeding newline character, is misinterpreted as a multi-byte
>> Japanese symbol, which subsequently comments out the next for-clause
>> as shown by the attached picture. Eventually, the misinterpretation
>> causes an undeclared variable 'i' error at line 2945.
>>
>> I ask without knowing how important the accent aigu is for French but,
>> can it be fixed somehow e.g. by changing to an e without an accent?
>>
>> Takuya

-bob

NEVER buy a dragon BEFORE you buy a fire extinguisher!
   - Jenny Melander
*      Robert Kerr, Member of the Cubit Mesh Generation Team         *
*       and the Titan Informatics Toolkit Development Team           *
*      rakerr at sandia.gov          |    PO Box 5800,  MS 1323         *
*      Phone: (505) 844-8606      |    Sandia National Labs          *
*       Fax: (505) 284-2518       |  Albuquerque, NM 87185-1323      *