[vtk-developers] Misinterpretation of a non-ascii character by MSVC

Takuya OSHIMA oshima at eng.niigata-u.ac.jp
Mon Jan 11 09:55:43 EST 2010

Hi,

At line 2942 of VTK/Graphics/vtkYoungsMaterialInterface.cxx (that
comes with ParaView 3.7-cvs as of today) there is a comment line

  // construction de la fonction cubique par morceau du volume tronque

where the last 'e' is in fact an e with an accent aigu. By a Japanese
version of MSVC (I use VS2008 SP1) the character, combined with the
succeding newline character, is misinterpreted as a multi-byte
Japanese symbol, which subsequently comments out the next for-clause
as shown by the attached picture. Eventually, the misinterpretation
causes an undeclared variable 'i' error at line 2945.

I ask without knowing how important the accent aigu is for French but,
can it be fixed somehow e.g. by changing to an e without an accent?

Takuya