[vtk-developers] Templated filters

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue Feb 9 08:23:42 EST 2010

> Wrapping really should be something 'extra' on top, that helps users do
> things and not the driving force behind the core toolkit.

I agree and disagree with this :-) The ability to wrap pipeline objects is
not something 'extra' on top. It is what enables almost every useful
VTK-based application: ParaView, VisTrails, MayaVi, Slicer and many others.
Without this ability, VTK would be just another C++ library used by a
handful applications. I think that anything that negatively effects the
wrapping of pipeline objects in VTK would have a very serious impact on its
usability.

Having said that, I don't believe that this needs to extend to every single
class in VTK. As I was suggesting, we can deal with things like arrays as
special cases. IMHO, anything that gives access to low level data structures
should map well to efficient constructs of the target language (like NumPy
for Python).

-berk