[vtk-developers] Templated filters

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 14:07:02 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Timothy M. Shead <tshead at sandia.gov> wrote:

> This may be just be me, but my hope is that we can come-up with a
> more-flexible wrapping mechanism to handle these sorts of special-cases.  As
> a real-world example, I've used Boost.Python to wrap templated container
> classes for other projects.

Hi Tim,

The main argument against this is that the current wrappers have so
much going for them.  Any new wrappers will not only have to work as
well as current wrappers, and will have to be fully
backwards-compatible, too.  That's a tall order.

However, for anyone who actually wants to build new wrappers for VTK,
it's possible to build wrappers 100% external to the VTK source base
itself.  The VTK CMake files export all of the information that's
necessary, i.e. all the kits that are used, all the classes that were
compiled, all the dependencies, and all the relevant class properties.

I'm on a project right now that is wrapping VTK for use in Simulink.
It uses a modified version VTK's wrapping infrastructure from outside
of VTK proper.

In other words, if you really want to write new wrappers, what's stopping you?

   David