[vtk-developers] Patch: Allowing a graph to be colored directly by an array

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 11:44:05 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 8:09 AM, Will Schroeder
<will.schroeder at kitware.com>wrote:

> David-
>
> Can you make it consistent with vtkMapper? vtkMapper has a color mode to
> determine how to treat unsigned char as follows:

>   // Control how the scalar data is mapped to colors.  By default
>   // (ColorModeToDefault), unsigned char scalars are treated as colors, and
>   // NOT mapped through the lookup table, while everything else is. Setting
>   // ColorModeToMapScalars means that all scalar data will be mapped
> through
>   // the lookup table.  (Note that for multi-component scalars, the
>   // particular component to use for mapping can be specified using the
>   // SelectColorArray() method.)
>   vtkSetMacro(ColorMode,int);
>   vtkGetMacro(ColorMode,int);
>   void SetColorModeToDefault()
>     {this->SetColorMode(VTK_COLOR_MODE_DEFAULT);};
>   void SetColorModeToMapScalars()
>     {this->SetColorMode(VTK_COLOR_MODE_MAP_SCALARS);};

Thanks for the quick feedback!

I added SetColorModeToDefault and SetColorModeToMapScalars to both
vtkRenderedGraphRepresentation
and vtkGraphLayoutView. The procedure is now very easy:

  // Add the color array to the graph
  tree->GetVertexData()->SetScalars(vertexColors);

  vtkSmartPointer<vtkGraphLayoutView> graphLayoutView =
    vtkSmartPointer<vtkGraphLayoutView>::New();
  graphLayoutView->AddRepresentationFromInput(tree);
  graphLayoutView->SetLayoutStrategyToTree();
  graphLayoutView->ColorVerticesOn();
  graphLayoutView->SetColorModeToDefault(); // new functionality (color by
Scalars)
  //graphLayoutView->SetColorModeToMapScalars(); //old functionality
  graphLayoutView->ResetCamera();
  graphLayoutView->Render();
  graphLayoutView->GetInteractor()->Start();

repo: git at github.com:daviddoria/daviddoria-vtk.git
branch: VTK-GraphColors

David