[vtk-developers] Patch to modernize Widgets/Testing/Cxx

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Tue Aug 31 02:09:23 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 2:24 AM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>wrote:

> Karthik,
>
> I'm trying to complete a project I started last year to modernize the
> vtk cxx tests. I have gone through all of the Widgets cxx tests and
> changed them to use smart pointers and the vtkTestingInteractor.  This
> reduces the number of lines in each test and makes them more readable.
>
> Can you apply the attached patch and give me some feedback? Marcus is
> also working to modernize the Charts testing.

Thanks Bill.

I'll submit this after my experimental build ends  up nice and green.

In addition to your attached patch, I'll also try and trim it a bit more but
I was hoping to get some feedback.

(a) I'd also like to replace lines of the form

  vtkSmartPointer<vtkInteractorEventRecorder> recorder =
    vtkSmartPointer<vtkInteractorEventRecorder>::New();
  recorder->SetInteractor(iren);
  recorder->ReadFromInputStringOn();
  recorder->SetInputString(BoxWidgetEventLog2);
  recorder->Play();
  recorder->Off();
  iren->Start();
  return EXIT_SUCCESS;

with just

  return vtkTesting::InteractorEventLoop( argc, argv, iren,
BoxWidgetEventLog2 );

Perhaps we should move that recorder stuff into vtkTestingInteractor
instead; something like
  iren->Start(BoxWidgetEventLog2)

It would also be great to pass the event log as a command line; I'll try and
submit a patch ?

Thanks
--
karthik