[vtk-developers] Cocoa render window and mouse move events

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Wed Aug 25 11:21:40 EDT 2010

Hi,

I have been looking into a bug found during some of the work we have been
doing in the charts, but the bug also presents itself in the graph layout
view,

./bin/ViewsCxxTests TestGraphLayoutView -I

The vertices should have hover text that shows up when the mouse moves over
the vertices. On Linux and Windows the text shows up, whereas on Mac OS X
with the Cocoa render window it does now. The same is true of the charts,
which have tooltips when the mouse moves over a data point. This works on
Linux and Windows, but for Cocoa it does not.

If you use the same charts in a Qt widget, e.g. a QVTKWidget in ParaView,
the mouse move events are propagated. It seems when the mouse button is
pressed down the mouse move events are propagated, but not if there is no
mouse button pressed down. I was hoping that some of the Mac experts on the
list might have some ideas as to what might be missing, it would seem that
the Qt windows are able to receive these mouse move events, and so our Cocoa
render window or interaction translation code could be patched.

Another interesting question, is there any way we can test this? All of the
mouse interaction tests inject the events into VTK, and do not actually move
the mouse. Is there a cross platform tool we could use to test some of the
interaction code, and would it be worth adding to VTK?

Thanks,

Marcus
--
Marcus D. Hanwell, Ph.D.