[vtk-developers] VTK Examples broken outside of tree

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Aug 23 10:58:52 EDT 2010

On 8/23/2010 10:50 AM, Bill Lorensen wrote:
> I made those changes to simplify the examples build process.

The complication was there for a reason.  Without it we do not
test that examples can build outside the tree.  Since examples
are meant to be copied and modified by users to build outside
the tree, it is worth the cost to make them always build outside.

Furthermore, we should specifically *not* support building the
examples inside the VTK tree.  References to VTK_BINARY_DIR do
not belong in any code that builds outside of VTK.  Switching
off of it works only for our examples but does not make sense
once they are copied and modified by users.  It also makes the
build rules more complicated than necessary within each example.

The previous approach kept every individual example (the part
that users copy) simple.  The only complication was in the
Examples/CMakeLists.txt code.

> Which example is not building? Just vtkLocal?

DJ (cc-ed) discovered the problem.  I have not tried the other
examples.  However, based on my above argument I think the
whole change should be reverted.

-Brad