[vtk-developers] Mouse behavior change in Charts?

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Fri Aug 13 17:06:07 EDT 2010

Hey Marcus,

Could I suggest a change to the mouse behavior in the Charts -- especially in the XY chart? It has worked out better for me when I remapped the behavior such that I have:

Left: Select
Middle: Pan (move)
Right: Zoom

I know that in the 3d render windows left controls spinning, but already in the parallel coordinates plot the left is used for selection, and the rubber band type interactors use left for selection. In a standard render window right is already used for zooming, so this makes it more consistent with what people might expect, and middle is already the standard for panning in 3d. Also, middle for selection makes it very hard to make a selection without zooming if you have a wheel-type mouse.

In my applications where I mix standard render windows with charts, and have a lot of linked selections between views, this mouse mapping has felt much more natural to myself and my users. It may be too late for this type of change, but I thought I'd put it out there, just in case.

Thanks,
-Eric