[vtk-developers] splitting vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter into 2 classes

Arnaud GELAS arnaud_gelas at hms.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 3 14:38:09 EDT 2010

  David,

Thanks for helping on this matter!!! We should definitively push things
forward.

Regarding the current implementation contained in
vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter. It is supposed to be the implementation
of Hoppe's paper, but I guess you are right, it may be a modified
version and results may differ with the one described in the paper.
Comparing both approaches (your code using boost, and this one) would be
great, and allowing the user to choose between both methods if there are
any differences in their performance (effectiveness and efficiency).

vtkPointSetNormalEstimationFilter seems to be a better name than
vtkNormalEstimationFilter.

Regarding vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter, changing the name is not that
important at this stage, but I just wanted to point this issue.

Best,
Arnaud