[vtk-developers] Point Set Processing for VTK

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 18:17:24 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I submitted a set of classes a while ago to the VTK Journal which
brings many of the functionalities that CGAL offers in the realm of
point cloud processing to VTK:
http://www.midasjournal.org/browse/publication/708

Here is the abstract:
This document presents a set of classes (vtkPointSetOutlierRemoval,
vtkPointSetNormalEstimation, vtkPointSetNormalOrientation,
vtkPointSetCurvatureEstimation, vtkEuclideanMinimumSpanningTree, and
vtkRiemannianGraphFilter) to enable several basic operations on point
sets. These classes are implemented as VTK filters. Paraview plugin
interfaces to the filters are also provided to allow extremely easy
experimentation with the new functionality. We propose these classes
as an addition to the Visualization Toolkit.

I believe we should really try to include these (possibly with
improvements/expansion) as part of VTK to draw back some of the users
who wander away to CGAL because VTK is missing these things.

Please let me know what you think either on the mailing list or in the
form of VJ reviews!
Thanks,

David