[vtk-developers] [Paraview-developers] New git commit hooks

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Apr 26 18:48:19 EDT 2010

In Kitware's defense, there would never be a time where everyone was ready for the transition.  The best they could do would be to make git mirrors available far in advance and give warning about the transition, both of which they have done.  I personally started using git months ago (and despite some painful cuts have been happy about it).

Also, the Dashboard has changed.  The suffix 3 had been dropped.

http://www.cdash.org/CDash/index.php?project=ParaView

Several dasboards are still catching up, but you can see several have been working for some time.

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

-Ken

On 4/26/10 8:17 AM, "Biddiscombe, John A." <biddisco at cscs.ch> wrote:

> It would be good to collect some of these tips on the wiki if people find
> them useful.

In general I think you guys (at kitware) are doing a great job.

But ...

I can't help feeling that the transition to git was made before everyone was ready. I've been having a lot of trouble getting my repos to work the way I'm used to, and there are plenty of questions flying around on these lists about commit hooks and workflows. And there have been no paraview dashboards for a week (why?).

If a bit of this 'wiki tips generation' and wrinkling out of problems had been done _before_ the transition, then much hair loss could have been avoided. After all, we weren't given a choice about this - so we're the ones playing catch up. (I somehow imagined that as you had git clones of svn for a few months already, all of these things were 'solved').

But ... please don't forget that I started by saying

In general I think you guys (at kitware) are doing a great job.

JB

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm whining. I am of course, but I don't want everyone to know.

   ****      Kenneth Moreland
    ***      Sandia National Laboratories
*** *** ***  email: kmorel at sandia.gov
**  ***  **  phone: (505) 844-8919