[vtk-developers] [Paraview-developers] New git commit hooks

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 10:00:24 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 7:34 AM, Marcus D. Hanwell
<marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 8:54 AM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> By reflexively doing a "pull" before every "commit", it looks like I
>> can keep a very simple workflow that is almost identical to the old
>> cvs workflow.
>
> This is the most cautious approach, but it is almost equivalent to doing a
> 'git pull --rebase', this will cause git to replay all of your changes over
> whatever was committed (in much the same way svn/cvs update did), and then
> you can push with a linear history.
> It would be good to collect some of these tips on the wiki if people find
> them useful.
> Marcus

And "cautious" is the operative word.  I'm new to git, and don't have
a clear idea of what "rebase" means.  So until I have time to study
git in more detail, my goal is a workflow that only has "pull",
"push", "add", "commit", "status", and "diff".  And "reset" for if I
ever need a do-over.

   David