[vtk-developers] New git commit hooks

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Fri Apr 23 13:42:03 EDT 2010

That doesn't make any sense Berk.  As it is, there already exists several hooks that restrict the commits that you can place, so the problem you describe can already happen as it is.  This is why the advice is to install the hooks in your local repository.

None of the current checks I found in these hooks are fatal or close to fatal.  On checks to make sure that there is no whitespace at the end of a line.  How is that close to fatal?  Another makes sure that the first line of your commit message is 79 characters or less.  Will my web browser die if it encounters an 80 character commit message?

I consider tab removal more important than those other hooks.  It's also a lot easier to comply with than trailing whitespace.

-Ken