[vtk-developers] [Paraview-developers] CVS->Git Transition Plan

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Wed Apr 21 07:51:53 EDT 2010

Brad,

> The matching Git commit is
>
>   http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=commitdiff;h=fddd6bba

It seems like the sub modules have lives of their own.

I'm working with paraview, and have a bunch of changes in
paraview : Xdmf : VTK
which are really their own repositories.
These are my 'pv-meshless' versions of things.

Do I treat these as separate repos for the purposes of my git management. Can I checkout paraview with a single tag and get all 3. I looked at the paraview git log and can't see anything that tells me where cvs ended and git took over - I don't know how you find this "h=fddd6bba" stuff - how do I find the equivalent ones for the separate repos?

Basically, can I do all in one, or must I do 3 (or more if I've forgotten other sub-modules)

I apologise for being useless. I have been playing with git here locally for some months, and though I really like the way it works, I still have a great deal of trouble getting it to do what I think it should be doing.

JB