[vtk-developers] Parallel Coords Global IDs selection problem in ParaView

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Fri Apr 9 14:58:34 EDT 2010

Hey Marcus,

First, I see you snuck in moving the parallel coordinates axes with the middle mouse button -- cool! :)

I was playing with the PC chart in ParaView and came across a strange problem: Selections work fine if I'm doing it by ID (set in Selection Inspector panel Selection Type), but if I have the Selection Type set to Global Node IDs the list of Global IDs is twice as long as it should be, and alternates -1 values with the correct IDs.

Here's the pipeline to reproduce with built-in functions (this morning's CVS PV):

Point Source (I did 100 pts, 10 rad)
Generate Ids
Elevation
Programmable filter:
from paraview.vtk import vtkAssignAttribute
pdi = self.GetInputDataObject(0,0)
pdo = self.GetOutputDataObject(0)
aa = vtkAssignAttribute()
aa.SetInput(pdi)
# aa.Assign()
# Second arg: 5=GlobalIds, 6=PedigreeIds
# Third arg: 0=Point, 1=Cell data
aa.Assign('Ids',5,0)
aa.Update()
pdo.ShallowCopy(aa.GetOutputDataObject(0))
PlotData

Make a selection in the PC chart with the Selection Inspector visible. The SI Selection Type will show IDs. Switch this to Global Node IDs, and the list will still look fine. Then, make a different selection in the PC chart with Global Node IDs still as the Type. I get lists like this:

-1
5
-1
72
-1
73
-1
81
-1
83

where the values that aren't -1 are correct. If you switch Type back to IDs, then back to Global IDs without changing the selection it looks fine again, until you make a new selection with Global IDs set as the Type.

Since this is a strange one, let me know if you'd like me to file a bug report.

Talk to you later,
-Eric

Eric E Monson
Duke Visualization Technology Group