[vtk-developers] Contrib level developers contribution process

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 16:20:20 EDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 1:55 PM, David Doria <daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Dean Inglis <dean.inglis at camris.ca> wrote:
>> Is there a way this could be set up so that more
>> than one developer with write access could
>> collaborate "easily"?  Would a repo accomplish this
>> better than Mantis?
>>
>> Dean
>
> Ah yes, I forgot to mention this in this email. The contrib repo is a
> definite "must" in my book. These Mantis "patch queue" things should
> simply have links to the cvs directory of interest or something of
> that nature. Maybe even just the name of the class - i.e. "I have put
> some code in contrib/vtkOFFReader, anyone want to take a look?". Then,
> as Dean said, it can be updated right there without having to upload a
> new file to Mantis.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

A sandbox that is linked from the VTK dashboard, with nightly checks
for whether the submissions pass kwstyle and coverage, would be great.
 Heaven knows, I have lots of VTK classes that people might find
useful, but which probably don't belong inside VTK itself.  I also
have some half-finished stuff that, currently, has no place to stay
except my hard drive.

I'm a fan of keeping developer queues in the bugtracker, rather than
adding another tool.  In fact the mailing lists, dashboard, and
bugtracker are the only things that I ever visit... if someone added
another web page somewhere then I would never see it.

   David