[vtk-developers] Contrib level developers contribution process

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 14:28:05 EDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Berk Geveci <berk.geveci at kitware.com> wrote:
> I think that this is a good idea. One caveat: the developer that
> adopts the patch is likely to put it in his/her queue and get to it
> when he has some free time. Most VTK developers are very busy and
> applying a patch to a class that one is not directly interested in
> will have lower priority than anything else. We should make it easy
> for developers to manage this queue. Maybe we can do this in the bug
> tracker? The bug entry that contains the patch would be assigned to
> the owner. Maybe we would also create a new category called something
> like "Patch queue"?
>
> As for voting, we will create a uservoice account for VTK soon. I
> don't think that there is any reason to maintain multiple systems for
> this. Unless uservoice is missing a feature. Is that the case?
>
> -berk

The "busy developer" queue is a fact of life that cannot be changed.
That said - maybe there can be some sort of "expected completion" date
that will at least give an estimate if they will likely get to it this
week, this month, or this year. If it is "this year", they probably
shouldn't have adopted that patch to start with. I'm not sure that
Mantis has this type of field? "Patch queue" on Mantis is a good idea
- this way developers can sort by "My Patch Queue" and see which of
these "trivial" type things they have on their "todo" list.

Uservoice is great - not missing any features that I've seen. I
thought if we were just going to use it for this one time revamp vote
it wouldn't be necessary, but I think a general VTK uservoice account
is a great idea. The paraview one seems to work great - the only
problem is that users don't seem to actually use it that much!

Thanks,

David