[vtk-developers] VTK and CMake 2.8rc2 - argument named "TRUE" in a conditional - policy CMP0012

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Oct 2 18:02:18 EDT 2009

Sean McBride wrote:
> actually two bytes (C2A0) which apparently caused CMake to silently
> ignore the entire FOREACH statement!

Wow, nice!

What CMake sees here is

  foreach(policy*CMP0012*CMP0013*CMP0014)

where the '*' is the bad character.  It thinks that this is a loop
variable called 'policy*CMP0012*CMP0013*CMP0014', and that there are
no values over which to loop.

I'm not sure we can fix this easily.  People might be using all
kinds of characters in their strings and variable names.  We would
have to teach CMake about UNICODE source files.

-Brad