[vtk-developers] Wiki Naming Conventions

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 11:05:21 EST 2009

Folks,

We need some consistent convention to name pages on the vtk wiki.
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK

VTK, itk, cmake, paraview, cdash, ... all share the same wiki.

Looking through a sample of these wikis you will see a variety of
naming conventions. For example a page describing "My Stuff" might be
called:

1) My_Stuff
    Not a good convention, but there are lots of pages named liked this.

2) VTK:My_Stuff
   This uses (misuses) the concept of namespace. Wikimedia namespaces
are described here:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_namespace
   CDash uses this consistently

3) VTK_My_Stuff
    itk uses this pretty consistently. CMake uses it frequently
although it also uses 1, 2, and 4.

4) VTK/My_Stuff
    Used occasionally in VTK. As well as 1,2 and 3.

My main immediate concern is to have the Examples on the wiki conform
to a single convention.
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK:Examples

Note, the wiki has a rename (move) mechanism so that old link will not
be broken.

Bill