[vtk-developers] Which class to derive from for filter with input: PolyData, output: Graph

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 13:41:00 EST 2009

What are the differences between deriving from vtkPolyDataAlgorithm vs
deriving from vtkGraphAlgorithm? I've seen that you are supposed to
derive from the algorithm class that matches the type of your output.
However, it seems that you can change the input to an arbitrary data
type using:

int vtkYourilter::FillInputPortInformation( int port, vtkInformation* info )
{
  if (!this->Superclass::FillInputPortInformation(port, info))
    {
    return 0;
    }

  if ( port == 0)
    {
    info->Set( vtkAlgorithm::INPUT_REQUIRED_DATA_TYPE(), "vtkPolyData" );
    return 1;
    }
}

Is this correct then? Should I derive from vtkGraphAlgorithm and set
the input to expect a vtkPolyData using the above method?

Thanks,

David