[vtk-developers] BestFitPlane function for vtkPlane

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 10:33:44 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 8:28 AM, Karthik Krishnan
<karthik.krishnan at kitware.com> wrote:
> Add a third redundancy to it :-). vtkDelaunay2D.
>
> The class also does an in-house computation of the best fitting plane to
> project the points onto, prior to triangulation.
>
> The comments from line 1370 of vtkDelaunay2D.cxx even states :
>
>   "This code was taken from the vtkTextureMapToPlane class and slightly
> modified."
>
> So if you do plan to contribute this code David, it would be a good idea to
> factor all these bits out. We don't want 3 nearly same versions lying around
>
> Thanks
> --
> karthik

I have some questions about
 void vtkTextureMapToPlane::ComputeNormal(vtkDataSet *output)

1) why is the input called 'output'? The only thing the function does
is set this-Normal, right? 'output' is not modified as far as I can
tell.
2) the last line is
this->Normal[2] = -1.0; // because of the formulation

My normal computation will certainly not always have the z component
of the normal = -1... why is this supposed to be the case?

Thanks,

David