[vtk-developers] vtkSweptSurface in vtk 5.4

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Tue May 26 12:06:11 EDT 2009

Prior to VTK 5, vtkSweptSurface was in the Patented directory, because
GE holds a patent on the algorithm:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=zOQjAAAAEBAJ&dq=patent:5542036

Once the Marching Cubes patent expired in June 2005, the Patented
toolkit was removed;
>From Kitware News July 2006:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kitware.com%2Fproducts%2Farchive%2Fkitware_quarterly0706.pdf&ei=nBEcSqvaGo3cM6b74JIP&usg=AFQjCNHFlxMfUm2_Npk-S8tRG4pdJmktxQ&sig2=04HasT0xIAa9XX517S_wOg

"With the expiration of the Marching Cubes patent, the Patented kit
has been removed and the Marching Cubes classes have been integrated
in the Graphics kit."

So if you want to use the SweptSurface class, you can get it from the
VTK attic: http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Patented/?hideattic=0

but please note the header comments:

15 : 	  	  	 THIS CLASS IS PATENTED UNDER UNITED STATES PATENT NUMBER 5,542,036
16 : 	  	  	"Implicit Modeling of Swept Volumes and Swept Surfaces"
17 : 	  	  	Application of this software for commercial purposes requires
18 : 	  	  	a license grant from GE. Contact:
19 :
20 : 	  	  	Carl B. Horton
21 : 	  	  	Sr. Counsel, Intellectual Property
22 : 	  	  	3000 N. Grandview Blvd., W-710
23 : 	  	  	Waukesha, WI 53188
24 : 	  	  	Phone: (262) 513-4022
25 : 	  	  	E-Mail: Carl.Horton at med.ge.com
26 :