[vtk-developers] Bug in vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader introduced by dbkarel

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Wed Mar 18 21:05:00 EDT 2009

Hello,

A bug was introduced by commit rev 1.69 of
VTK/IO/vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader.cxx in
vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader::ReadGeometryFile() on 2007-03-30 by
"dbkarel" (who's this person?)

The previous revision (.68) had:

this->ReadLine(line);

[...]

while (strncmp(line, "BEGIN TIME STEP", 15) != 0)
{
[...]

rev 1.69 removed the line with this->ReadLine(line);

which causes "line" to be uninitialized the first time strncmp() is called.

It has been detected by valgrind:

http://www.cdash.org/CDash/viewDynamicAnalysisFile.php?id=303569

I'd like this person or any other developer familiar enough with this
class to give me feedback to know if it is OK to just add this missing
line right before the "while()" or if it requires more code to be
reverted back.

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive