[vtk-developers] Adding support for retrieving attribute types.

Jeff Baumes jeff.baumes at kitware.com
Wed Jun 24 13:46:22 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Utkarsh Ayachit <
utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com> wrote:

> Do you really need to define another enum? Can't we use
> vtkDataObject::FIELD_ASSOCIATION_POINTS etc.?

Two reasons to define another enum:
1. The old enum names are very long.
2. It includes FIELD_ASSOCIATION_POINTS_THEN_CELLS, which is not an
attribute type.

I had considered instead making a "ShortFieldAssociations" enum, that kept
things in the same order as the old enum but without the
"FIELD_ASSOCIATION_" prefix. This seems reasonable because they are no
longer just used for the FIELD_ASSOCIATION() key of the input arrays for
algorithms to process. It would still have a "point then cell" value that is
not an attribute type, but that is not too big a deal.

Jeff